Welcome to our "dog blog"

Mocha and Latte are brother and sister Chihuahua's. Mocha is totally blind from an accident when he was only 6 months old. He got his head jammed in a door when he lived with his previous owner. He had brain damage which caused the blindness and also misshaped his jaw. He had his left eye removed a few months later. So far his right eye is healthy but blind. I am hoping this blog will be of some help to other owners of blind dogs. Mocha has taught us so much all ready!

Living life on the edge

Living life on the edge
Mocha likes to sit in high places so he can "see" things better...:-) Or he just likes to live dangerously?

Monday, January 26, 2009

Meet Mocha and Latte on their first day home


This picture was taken on the day we brought them home.
When we first considered adopting Mocha and Latte I was very apprehensive and had countless sleepless nights worrying that I would not be able to handle and look after a blind dog.
We had to wait 3 weeks before we could pick them up and in that time I nearly changed my mind. I am so glad I didn't because adopting them is one of the best things I have done.
Mocha is a very clever boy who has no idea he has a handicap, We have 2 other dogs, King a hunt away (retired sheepdog) and Maya a border Colly (heading dog) Both pets now :-) and Mocha is definitely the alpha dog in the pack! He is an amazing little dog and everyone who meets him can't believe he is blind! It is almost like he has radar, he seem to be able to sense solid objects and changes direction when he gets close, he even runs outside!

1 comment:

  1. I see we have something in common - blind love!
    I look forward to hearing more about Mocha and Latte, they are beautiful dogs. I can relate with you about your hesitation... I was not sure if I could commit to being the owner of a blind dog - But Samson has already taught me so much. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete